Monday, November 5, 2012

Purchase Mistake: ELF Studio Tinted Moisturizer SPF20

Product: 

ELF Studio Tinted Moisturizer SPF20

From here:

This lightweight and hydrating formula is breathable and provides anti-aging sun protection with UVA/UVB SPF 20. Achieve even skin tone and naturally radiant skin with this moisturizing sheer tint of color. The smooth formula enhances your complexion with the nourishing key ingredients Aloe, Cucumber and Vitamins A, C & E.
Why I bought it:

I developed an allergy to SPF products in my early 20s after a bad bout of sunburn. As a swimmer in my teens, I trained 7 days a week, rain or shine. I had a perpetual tan and my skin gladly welcomed sunblocks and creams of any kind. Somewhere between school and college, my body had started to reject sunscreen. Each time I applied it would result in breaking out in hives. One time, the allergic reaction was so bad that I had to be rushed to the hospital for treatment because my throat had started closing in. When I went to college, I stopped swimming and my lifestyle changed. Where I spent most of the day at the pool when I was a teen, I now spent my nights outdoors instead, going to clubs, working on college assignments and indulging in late night suppers. It was perhaps this change of lifestyle that threw my body off balance (I'm just assuming, really) and I was baffled when I had a bad burn after a weekend at the beach with friends. To say it was a bad sunburn was understatement; I had to get a jab on the drive back from the beach to the city. I was in so much pain and my body temperature was rising steadily. During the consultation, the doctor told me that I suffer from a condition called sun allergy. I know, right. What nonsense! But, yes, in addition to being allergic to sunblock, I also have sun allergy. Oh, joy. Needless to say, products that said "SPF" on their labels couldn't find a customer in me for years. Slow, though, I started experimenting with SPF products again. After all, the doctor did say that we develop and get rid of allergies in our lifetime. It started with a powder foundation with an SPF. My skin didn't react to it any more than when I didn't use it. Being in my late 20s now, I shudder at all the sun damage inflicted on my skin in all the years that I did away with sun protection. I thought it was safe to reintroduce it into my beauty regime.

Why I hate it:

It has practically zero moisturizing properties. The first time I tried it without my regular moisturizer, it just dragged across my poor face like a very dry expired moisturizer. It went on streaky and wouldn't spread properly. When I finally (and with much difficulty) managed to smooth it out as best as I can, it just sits on the surface on my skin like an orange mask. I looked like I had a very bad fake tan on my face. Being so dry, it was flaky on some parts, which is a huge surprise for me as I have always had a combination-oily skin type. Flakiness was unheard of until then. I gave it a second try the next day and applied it over my regular moisturizer. Nope, didn't work, too. While it went on streaky before, now it clumped up my moisturizer and I was left with little orange balls all over my face. So I spent another 5 minutes fixing my face. It worked badly with makeup, however minimal. My face was oilier than usual in less time, and blusher doesn't seem to sit well on it. The cherry on top, however, would be when I broke out so badly the next day. I had more than 10 pimples all over my face and rashes in certain areas. It took me 4 days with an antihistamine and 2 weeks for it to clear. Needless to say, there was no third try for this product. I gave it to a friend to try (hence no actual picture of the culprit) thinking that she might fare better than I did, given my history with sunscreen allergy and sensitive skin. She had the exact same reaction as I did. So, off to the bin it went.

Why I definitely won't repurchase:

Not only did it not work for me (and my friend), it caused so much damage to my skin that could possibly be irreversible. It has been 2 months since that incident and I still have some dry spots from when I had rashes. I had badly wanted to like this product after reading all the good reviews about it. Sadly, this falls far too short of my expectations, even with its $3 price tag. Also, not sure if this is a usual complaint, but the tube was only half full when I got it. Dud, much?

No comments:

Post a Comment